It seems like I've been working on the dresses from the Indian skirt forever, but the first one is finally done. The second one is almost finished as well, but with rain in the forecast for the next few days, and the scillas quickly growing past their prime, we went to take a few photos this evening...
Working with the Indian skirt and sari proved far more challenging than I ever expected. I thought they looked so beautiful, and would make gorgeous doll dresses, but I didn't really look that closely. As nice as the good sides were, the back sides were a total mess. I don't know if the people who make these don't care about the quality of their work, or if it's normal for the wrong sides to be such a mess. I spent days trying to fix all the loose threads and embellishments, and all the loose thread ends. Mostly I used Gem Tack glue, as it dries clear matte, and is washable. The wrong sides of the embellishments is now a LOT neater, but there's a limit to what I was prepared to do.
I had a sari in pink and blue, that perfectly matched the colours of the dresses, so decided to make shawls to complete the ensembles. But again, lots of loose threads to glue down, and the fabric was extremely flimsy, and proved rather difficult to work with.
Anyway, the second gown, which is pretty much identical, still needs the eyelets inserted up the back, and I have to make the second 'shawl'. And hopefully take some more pictures.
Martha Boers is an award-winning Canadian doll maker and costumer specializing in fantasy and historical-style costumes.