My new company and website have been introduced on BJDCollectasy, which is a wonderful online news magazine for everything relating to the world of Ball Jointed Dolls. Mae, who runs the site, has already invited me to have my work featured in a weekly article during 'Fairy Month' next spring! (Link to BJDCollectasy)
I brought Ryung away today - to Charie Wilson's spa - where she will get a complete make-over. She'll be sanded, blushed, and glue-sueded, and get a whole new faceup, and a manicure and pedicure! It's too bad we humans can't go for a make-over like that when we get a little tired-looking!
I've designed a new pattern for the January Creative Costuming newsletter, and made two sample outfits to test it out. It's designed to fit a slim-body MSD like my Narae. It was fun to make something really simple and colourful for a change!
I ordered a new doll last night - the 'Special Order Cuprit' from Soom. I really needed one of their larger 'Super Gem' dolls as a costume model. The Soom company tends to focus primarily on fantasy characters, yet there's almost nothing out there for them to wear. Since I specialize in Fantasy costumes, I've been told I'd have an eager market if I were to sew for that size doll, so I took the plunge. Of the three girls available, my favourite was Cuprit, who could easily pass for Ryung's older sister. I'm very excited, and am already planning which costumes to make!
I'm working on designing a pattern for the Winter issue of Creative Costuming. This time it will be a simple dress for Narae, with tights and arm-warmers. I've sewn two sample dresses and today I get t tackle the stretchy fabrics.
I've been asked to give instructions on how to enlarge the patterns so they fit the larger dolls, but that's not possible. Every doll company has their own body design - there are very few dolls which can fit clothing from other companies even when they are the same height doll. All I can do is offer patterns for dolls which I actually own.
I've decided to create a page for 'Tutorials' in which to offer free patterns and instructions - mostly for items which I really don't want to be making again for sale. Things like the 'gladiator boots' I made for Arwyn. Hopefully people will be able to follow my instructions and make their own boots to fit their own dolls.
I've decided to name Narae's new outfit 'Branwyn', after the Celtic 'goddess of regeneration'.
I took photos of her outside twice - the first time there were dark shadows over her face. The next day it was brighter, and I put my camera on the tripod and used the timer so I'd have time to go over and reflect the light into the dark areas of her face. Since Narae is a lot shorter than Ryung I can take photos of her in the upper garden and not have the fence show at the top behind her. I was quite happy with how the photos turned out.
I finally finished the outfit for Narae (43 cm) which I've been working on all week. The skirt is of two layers of Indian cotton with tattered and dyed hemline. Her 'overskirt' is of dagged-edged strips of multi-coloured velour, which have been dyed green, the edges painted gold, and beaded down the middle. She wears a wreath of tiny oak leaves and grape tendrils over her handmade brown mohair wig. Now I just need some decent weather so I can photograph her outside.
I've been on a buying spree at Value Village picking up discount silk head-scarves and embroidered saris to turn into doll fashions. Everything needs to be hand-washed and drip-dried, so I've been washing several per day and hanging them out on the porch to dry. Now I just need lots of time to turn them all into doll outfits!
Now that my website is done, I'm finally getting back to working on some doll costumes. I'm working on embroidering the two tunics for the remaining two blue Celtic Maiden outfits, and I've started a green nature goddess costume for Narae. The dagged-edged, multi-coloured velour strips have been dyed green and the edges painted gold. Now comes all the beading.